Two Closings, One Narrow Path Forward

How careful coordination, candid preparation advice, and a strategic credit protected a family’s move from Eagle to Star.

This couple began as neighbors of mine in Cedarfield, an established Eagle subdivision. They wanted to sell their current home and move to Star, where they could gain more space, a stronger amenity package, and a fresh start in a home that better fit their family.

Their Eagle property photographed well and had many of the qualities buyers wanted, but preparing it for the market required more than placing it in the MLS. With three dogs and a cat in the household, the home had developed a noticeable pet-dander odor. The carpets needed attention, the house needed a deeper cleaning, and one section of baseboard had been damaged badly enough that it affected both the appearance and smell of the room.

I gave the sellers direct advice about the preparation required. I even removed and replaced the damaged baseboard myself so buyers would not immediately focus on an obvious defect. The goal was not to make the home perfect; it was to eliminate preventable objections and give its strongest features a chance to carry the showing.

At the same time, we were searching for their replacement home in Star. A Berkeley Builders property caught their attention, but it had just been removed from the market. Rather than assuming it was no longer available, I called the listing broker and asked whether my clients could still see it. The lockbox remained in place, and the seller agreed to let us through.

The home was exactly what they wanted: a well-built property on approximately one-quarter acre in a desirable Star neighborhood with walking paths and a community pool. It offered considerably more than their current neighborhood and felt like the right long-term fit for the family.

Before writing the offer, I helped them work through several credit and qualification issues with a strong local lender. Once financing was established, they offered approximately $620,000 for the Star property. To make the offer compelling, they agreed to proceed without a sale contingency and made their earnest money nonrefundable.

That decision helped secure the home, but it also created real risk. If the Eagle property did not close on time, the couple could lose the Star home and their earnest-money deposit.

Their Eagle listing did not sell at the price they initially expected. Although the photography attracted attention, buyers who visited in person were less enthusiastic about the home’s condition and presentation. The market response confirmed what the preparation conversations had anticipated: even in a desirable area, buyers compare the full experience—not simply the neighborhood, floor plan, or online photos.

After an extended marketing period, we received an aggressive cash offer from an investor. It was not the price the sellers originally imagined, but it offered the certainty needed to move forward. The Eagle inspection was informational, and the transaction did not become burdened with a large repair request. The remaining challenge was financial: once the sale proceeds, closing costs, and purchase requirements were calculated together, the couple was short of the funds needed to complete both transactions.

By then, lenders, title and escrow professionals, agents, and the sellers on both sides had invested substantial work in the two closings. More importantly, the couple had no easy alternative. Their Star offer was non-contingent, their earnest money was exposed, and the family risked losing the home they had worked to secure.

I structured a meaningful buyer credit from my compensation to help bridge the final gap. This was not a routine discount or a promise made to win the listing. It was a case-specific decision made for longtime neighbors and clients after every number was known, when a targeted contribution could preserve two otherwise viable transactions.

Timing created one final challenge. The Eagle home had been marketed from late spring into late summer, and its closing could not occur within the original deadline for the Star purchase. I negotiated an extension with the seller and builder. Because the seasonal buyer pool was beginning to thin and we had maintained honest communication throughout the transaction, they gave us the additional time needed to perform.

Both transactions ultimately closed. The sellers moved out of Cedarfield and into the Berkeley Builders home in Star without losing their earnest money or the property they loved. They gained the larger homesite, neighborhood amenities, and new environment they wanted while replacing a complicated ownership arrangement associated with the Eagle home.

Afterward, the client described the representation this way: “Chris goes above and beyond searching for the right fit. I want to live in an area that fits my family’s needs and protects my financial investment, and Chris was the realtor that did it all.”

Here’s what I’d want any seller who must also buy to understand: the list price and purchase offer are only pieces of the same financial equation. Preparation, net proceeds, loan qualification, contingency exposure, earnest money, closing deadlines, and seasonal leverage must all work together. When one piece changes, the entire plan has to be recalculated quickly.

Need to sell your current home while securing the next one? Let’s build the listing, financing, offer, and closing strategy as one coordinated move—before your earnest money or relocation timeline is at risk.

Chris Budka | Boise & Eagle Idaho Realtor

👉 Call/Text: (208)745-2895
👉 Email: [email protected]
👉 Website: https://chrisbudka.com

Compare listings

Compare
×

Know someone looking to buy or sell?

Click below to send us a referral. We’ll take great care of them.